today’s competitive and dynamic healthcare environment, effective leadership at all levels of the organization provides
a clear competitive advantage in achieving strategic transitional objectives, high levels of patient care and satisfaction,
and in the recruitment and retention of staff.
needs assessment is a fast track initial step designed to identify where and how to begin the process of leadership development
in a systematic process aligned with the organization’s strategic direction.
The goals of a needs assessment are to:
- Identify the current and future challenges at the Institution.
- Elicit feedback about
the leadership skills necessary for addressing these challenges.
- Gap analysis between current level of skills and future requirements.
- Identification of organizational
factors inhibiting or assisting development.
- Determination of “desired end state” as well as the key deliverables
and metrics for success.
- Understand the culture of the organization and its successes.
- Explain the benefits of a leadership development program
from both an individual and institutional point of view.
- Acquaint stakeholders with some of EDG’s program successes in
leadership development in other medical institutions and show how a leadership development program will help them address
more effectively some of the challenges they face as leaders.
The process is conducted through a series of semi-structured interviews in both an individual
and small group format to engage stakeholders in a discussion on institutional and individual leadership challenges.